My adventures serving in the Peace Corps

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

... but I DO have a UTI.

Ugh. I am back in the med unit in Cotonou, this time because I have a Urinary Tract Infection. (They are the worst EVER, but luckily easily treatable) I feel really bad about having to miss yet another day of model school, but c'est la vie, I guess.
Teaching is going fine; this week we had to write/administer both a quiz and a test for the kids. The kids in my class are learning things like "I am from Porto Novo. She is from America." and "The pen is on/under/in the desk," etc. It is kind of fun and surprisingly a bit challenging to go back to the basics of English.
We have has a few more people ET (Early Terminate), bringing our total down to 56 (we were originally 64). It is a bummer, but, I guess Peace Corps isn't for everyone. Not too much else is going on... I'm getting a dress and skrit made at the tailor this week, also today I ordered the "beef" at a buvette and was served cow skin. Declicious. (and by delicious I mean DISGUSTING) Today we also watched the testimonials of volunteers who have contracted HIV during their service, which was quite depressing (but easily avoidable). Also got a package this week from my friend Sarah that had stuff to hang on my walls, gum, and chocolate!! I would love some more packages like this :)
That's all for now, I'll let you know if my UTI gets better soon!

2 comments:

Angelina's Mom said...

I bet you were disappointed, to say the least, about your "beef" entree. I'm sure it won't be the last time...
I'm glad to hear about your teaching.Sounds like it is indeed a challenge for both you and your students, and that's a good thing!
Stay well, my sweet girl Much love,

Mom

Aimee said...

Ange, I hope you get better soon! You have to know you're my hero, because there aren't too many awesome people out there like you! Your pictures are great! You make me want to do Peace Corps more and more, although I'll have to get over my fear of getting up in front of a class as a teacher. I'm thinking about doing an exchange in Dakar! I'm going to look into it this semester, and see if it'll work out for winter semester 2010 (next year). If I'm over that way, I'll have to come visit. Band week starts in two days, we'll miss you. I'm sure we'll be sending letters/package.

love Cairati