My adventures serving in the Peace Corps

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sad day

Catherine is leaving today; I came down to Cotonou for the weekend to spend some time with her and say goodbye. She seems to be in a really good place, though, and ready to go. I'm happy for her! Soon she will be in the good ol' USofA, enjoying all of the amenities there, while I still have seven months of sweating and intestinal parasites ahead of me.
The kittens are fine; they are incessantly curious now and since they can walk more or less normally, are running all around the house and I always have to be careful not to step on them! The vet came last week to give Belle and Baby their annual rabies shots, and also gave the kittens some deworming stuff. He seemed to think they were perfectly healthy. Still can't tell the gender of the cats. I will be giving the kittens away in the first part of February, one to another volunteer and one to a fellow English teacher at my school. I didn't have many pictures of them from this week- the camera just doesn't capture how cute they are! Hopefully next time I'll have some pictures to post.
School went pretty well this week. Exams start a week form tomorrow, so I had to submit my exams this past week. I have finally figured out why one of my quatrieme classes seem to get the lessons better than my other one: the other one has English class after three hours of exhausting gym class baking in the African sun and heat. Gym class here is nothing like what we have in America: the kids are FILTHY afterwards because they literally roll around in the dirt, do tons of tumbling and gymnastics. It's amazing how athletic and strong they are. They get so dirty that they even have burrs in their hair when they are finished! And it's not like they can take a shower afterwards like you can in the US. The two hours of English are hard for me, too- the kids stink!
Now that it's the new year, it's time for me to start really working on Camp GLOW. We're about to book the venue, and soon we will start contacting guest speakers, chauffers, etc. I've just checked the Peace Corps' website, we've raised about $1400 out of $6000 so far, so please tell people you know to think about donating!
Once again, I can't believe how fast time is moving. Only one semester left of school, then Camp GLOW, then I'm done! I still don't know when I'll be coming home. Depending on if we get early leave dates or not, I could be home as early as late July, or as late as late September. I'm hoping for sometime in August- I would really like to make it home for the first football game! Plus, once all of my work is finished by early July, I'm gonna be bored out of my mind and chomping at the bit to go home. I won't know an exact date until the end of May.
This past week I was informed that I was selected to particiate in a breakfast at the ambassador's house with some government members, though I don't have too much information on that yet. Pretty cool, though!
I came down to Cotonou on Friday morning, and have just been hanging out with Catherine and relaxing. The first night we made homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese and watched some old movies. Unfortunately, yesterday I felt AWFUL the entire day- mild fever, aches, chills, and horrible stomach cramps, so I stayed in bed most of the day. Knock on wood, but I'm feeling mostly better this morning. We'll say goodbye to Catherine and leave Cotonou in a few hours. I'm hoping that I stay well this week, my kids need to have class this last week before final exams! I really want them to do well.

3 comments:

loehrke said...

Sorry to hear about Catherine. I am reminded about what a PCV told me about those who needed to ET: it's not that they CHOOSE to ET; they HAVE to ET. They have no choice. I am certain you will miss her support. Please know that many people are thinking about you here in the states and are sending "virtual" support.
I think you should start planning a post-COS trip to cheer you up. Where will you go?? Have fun!!!
Get healthy and then stay that way, Mark Loehrke (Carly's dad)

Maman et Papa said...

Dear Angelina,
We were longing to meet you on our trip to Benin when unfortunately our plans were changed. As we are writing this, Catherine is due to land in about 38 minutes. We want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being such a special friend to our daughter. We know without your support and generosity these last few weeks it would have been extremely difficult for Catherine.

Thanks for all that you have done and are doing.
Xavier and Therese

PS - We will be sending the Camp GLOW support soon! We did not forget!!

claudio said...

Hello
My name is Claudio
I'm looking for ARNETT DAMASCUS she works for peace corps in Benin Abomey area . She planned to meet me in Japan last sunday 24 january , but since 20 january I don't know nothing anymore from her . I tried to contact P.C. but they don't give me any info because I'm "just" the boyfriend .
I really love her and I'm so worried , today is one week with no contact .
IF YOU KNOW HER OR YOU CAN GIVE SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTACT OF P.C. IN ABOMEY I WILL BE HAPPY .

PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND HER AND TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEN !

CLAUDIO