My adventures serving in the Peace Corps

Thursday, May 1, 2008

My First Time Blogging...

Well, this is my first experience with the blogging world... I was reading other Peace Corps Volunteers' blogs today and realized I am just about the only person in the July 1st group without a blog started, so here it is!
I found out that I was going to Benin almost 4 weeks ago, but immediately took off to France for 3 weeks so I haven't had a whole lot of time to start thinking about my upcoming adventure.
For those of you who don't know, I will be serving as an English teacher in Benin, to students who are in roughly 7th-12th grades. I am not nervous about my French abilities, especially after my recent trip to France where I felt at a level of near fluency in the language. I AM worried, though, about how the heck to teach English from French. I don't have much teaching experience, and I have never tried to formally help a French-speaker with their English skills... should be interesting!
As my secondary project (Peace Corps engourages volunteers, especially TEFL volunteers, to take on a second project during the summer, etc), I am going to try and do some sort of museum/cultural preservation work. I took a really great class that dealt with museum work in Africa, and my professor has given me some really great ideas and contact information in Benin. Plus, those of you who know me know what a museum nerd I am :) Hopefully that will work out!
Service starts 2 months from today!! Can't wait...

No comments: